Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Banana Bread

    Banana bread is one of the yummiest things ever and is also super easy to make. It's great for breakfast or as just a snack. I once had warm banana bread with a layer of chocolate chips on the bottom served with vanilla ice cream. I just love banana bread and this recipe was given to my by one of the best bakers I have ever met when my friend (her daughter) left for college and I knew I wouldn't get to have her amazing baked goods as often. I have never been able to make this quite as well as her, but I have my own delicious version and hopefully you will too. I do like mine a little undercooked so if you want yours to be less soft turn the over up to 350 degrees F and/or keep it in about 10 minutes longer but be careful it doesn't dry out!




Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar (I will cheat and use regular granulated sugar)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten
2 1/3 cup overripe bananas (about three medium sized ones works just fine)


Preheat the oven to 330 degrees F (remember if you want your bread less doughy you can turn the oven up to 350 degrees F or just leave it in longer at 330). Lightly grease a 9"x5" loaf pan. Now the fun can start.

Cream together the butter and the sugar in a large bowel.



Add in the vanilla. And now stir in the eggs.



In a small bowel mash the bananas. This can be easily done with a fork, especially if the bananas are sufficiently overripe. This is also a great job for a helper if you have one. If you want chunks of banana don't mash them as well, I prefer to mash them into oblivion so they are like a cream. Combine the mashed bananas into the butter and sugar and mix until it is well blended.

Add in the salt and baking soda. Now mix in the flour slowly and stir just to moisten.



Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. If you want the bottom of the loaf to have a chocolate chip layer you can pour them on 12 minutes into cooking while the batter is still wet. If you put them on now they will burn.



Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or longer for more dry bread. When an inserted toothpick comes out clean it's done. Let the Bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn onto a wire rack (be careful if you're using chocolate chips).



Voila, you now have delicious banana bread. This recipe can also be doubled and cooked in a bunt cake pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment